Since health experts say that gathering with family and friends during the holidays increases our chances of being infected by COVID-19, it’s much more advisable to hold our holiday parties virtually. If you, your family, friends, and co-workers have decided to hold your holiday and end-of-the-year celebrations via Zoom, here are some hair, makeup, and style trends to try to look your best during these parties—since they’re not just your run-of-the-mill Zoom meeting.
Go natural and focus on the skin.
In COVID-19, the trend is all about the “I tried, but not really” look. While there will always be room for glam looks, especially since we’ll have to go back to normal eventually. Nothing beats a well-blended smokey eye. The pandemic is a great time to scale down on our makeup routines and highlight our best features via light makeup and minimal styling, especially since glamorous makeup looks don’t often translate clearly on screen anyway. Here is a step-by-step guide to achieving the trendy no-makeup makeup look:
- This look is all about the skin. So invest in a good pore-filling primer, like the Benefit Porefessional, to fill in your pores and imperfections and give your base something to stick to.
- Use a light to medium coverage foundation and apply it using a damp sponge to give your skin a healthy-looking glow.
- Invest in a good dewy highlighter—one that looks wet when applied on the skin. Apply it on the high areas of your face (high points of the cheeks, the tip of the nose, cupid’s bow, and chin—basically any part of your face that shines when light hits it) with the same wet sponge you used to apply your foundation.
- Opt for a cream blush to stay within the “natural” route. If your skin gets oily even during winter, apply a small amount of powder in areas where you tend to oil up.
- Lightly brush up your eyebrows using a brow mascara and load up your eyelashes with mascara.
- Apply your favorite MLBB with a hint of gloss on top.
Try your hand at mermaid waves.
With the right tools, like a rotating hair curling iron and a product that addresses your hair’s needs, you will be able to achieve those coveted beach waves without having to go to the salon. It’s only a matter of understanding your hair’s texture, knowing the right techniques to make sure the waves hold up, and having the patience to keep trying until you get it right. Just make sure to use a heat protectant spray before you use hot tools, flip your hair tool away from your face (since waves that move away from the face look more casual and relaxed), and use a texturizing spray to keep them on all night during your holiday party.
Consider your undertone when choosing outfits.
It’s possible to look your best in an outfit regardless of your Zoom party’s theme and motif. The key is choosing colors that look good against your skin tone and highlight your best features. The four-season color analysis suggests that knowing the undertone of your skin, eyes, and hair (warm or golden versus cool or ashy), how deep versus light your overall coloring and specifically how your hair is, and wearing clothes that look best against those undertones, will help you look more vibrant and healthy.
Don’t Neglect Your Setup
And lastly, don’t forget to set up your camera angle and lights in ways that look extremely flattering. It doesn’t matter how much you prepare if your equipment won’t support your look. So do your best, keep it simple but stunning, and most of all, don’t forget to have fun!